Monday, May 5, 2014

Caprese Quinoa

Y'all, something crazy happened to me yesterday: I cooked.


Like really cooked, not just read a recipe and tried to duplicate. I mean I invented a meal and made it and ate it and it tasted great. It's crazy. I know you are all looking at my blog and see the little "Eat Well" tab and think "who does she think she is? She can't cook and doesn't usually eat well." I know, I know, I had the same thoughts. But yesterday I did the unexpected and it was too delish not to share. (I'll even give you measurements even though I didn't use any. I subscribe to the eyeballing it philosophy. Which might be why I suck at cooking...hmmm)


Anywho without further ado, feast your eyes on my new brain child/food baby!!!



Caprese Quinoa


INGREDIENTS:

-1 cup quinoa, cooked following directions on the package
-15+ Grape tomatoes, slice 'em up (I usually HATE tomatoes and I kid you not this was my first time ever purchasing tomatoes from a grocery store, so I only used about 10-15 little ones, but if you are a tomato fiend, by all means, use more!)
-3 cloves garlic, diced or pressed (I did both by accident)
-1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped up reaaaal fine (remember, Target now sells bags of basil in the produce section)
-1 package fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
-3 tablespoons olive oil
-Chicken (optional) 


Like all of my cooking, Caprese Quinoa was really easy to make. I enjoy making food that gets all mixed in one bowl so that the hardest task is stirring. (Seriously I'm the worst.)


1. Cook quinoa according to the directions on the package. If you want a little extra protein, cook some chicken.

2. While that is happening, cut up basil, tomatoes, and cheese.

3. Just as the quinoa is ALMOST done cooking, chop up/press the garlic into the pot and mix it in there. I love ALL THE GARLIC, so I like mine really strong. If you don't, you could add garlic in with the other stuff.

4. Add in other stuff (tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, olive oil, and chicken if you so choose) 

5. Get ready, this one's a doozy: stir and mix it until everything is evenly distributed.



6. Pretend you're in Italy, pour yourself a glass or three of wine and eat up!




Now that I'm on a caprese kick, does anyone else have any good caprese recipes?!