Monday, March 24, 2014

A lil’ Monday fitness update

Hiya!

I’m trying to get back on the blogging train, since I don’t have to teach my night class this week (PRAISE THE LAWD!!!). I love teaching it but holy balls, I can’t keep up with myself, let alone my little blog, when I’m working 14 hour days.

I’m a little over a third of the way done with my 90-Day Challenge and I’ve got great things to report.

Nope, I haven’t miraculously dropped 20 pounds in 4 weeks (nor would I want to, since if that ever happened, that would mean I would have the stomach flu which is basically my worst nightmare).

However, as of last Tuesday, I was down 8 pounds since the start of the challenge. Like I said when I first started the Challenge, I’ve never, ever weighed myself consistently before. The only times I ever weighed myself were when I would be at the gym waiting to pee and all the stalls were full, so I would step on the scale so I looked like less of a stall stalker ready to pounce as soon as one of the toilets was vacated.

8 pounds doesn’t sound like much to me, but it’s quantitative evidence of some other pretty cool changes I’ve been seeing. For the first time in over a year, I feel like I am actually making a difference towards getting back to a healthy, strong, less flabby body. That’s really what I’m looking for with this Challenge and my fitness in general—getting to a point where I feel happy and proud when I look in the mirror or—let’s be honest, see a picture of me on Facebook—rather than mad at how I “let myself go.” I’m not there yet, but I finally feel like I’m getting there.

So what are my stats like these days? And how am I getting there?

As of last Tuesday (I weigh in every Tuesday morning at the gym):

3/18/14
Weight: 171.7
BFP: 29.6%

Still not where I’d like to be, but each day I get closer, right?! (Except Saturday. My fam was in town and I attended a friend’s housewarming party and I mowed on sloppy joes, whipped cream marshmallow salad, cupcakes, gummy bears, white cheddar popcorn, and beer…)

In terms of what I’m doing differently, I don’t know what to tell ya besides that MY FITNESS PAL IS THE BEST THING EVER. Seriously, that’s the only actual change I’ve made, but because of that change, some other changes are happening. Logging my food (and most days I’m a rockstar about logging EVERYTHING I SHOVE IN MY MOUTH) keeps me accountable in a way nothing else does. It makes me think about what I’m eating, and usually I end up talking myself out of whatever unhealthy thang I’m going to eat because I think, “Ugh, then I’ll have to log it and go over my calories.” Sometimes it’s simply as lazy as, “Ugh, then I’ll have to log it and I can’t find my phone.” Whatever, it works.

Because I’m logging my food and exercise on MFP, I make better choices. That’s all there is to it.

I haven’t changed my workouts at all, except that I’m sticking to the half marathon training program I’m doing with my friend Dana. I’m running and lifting, with one hardcore circuit class on Tuesdays, that’s it.

A quote from our circuit class last week…
Dana: you know a work out is hard when you prefer burpies.
Me: *dies on the floor in pool of own sweat*

Side note: my knee is getting effed up again, just like when I trained for the marathon. Seeing my sports med doctor tomorrow and hopefully I can get another cortisone shot and some PT, because if she says the word “surgery” I might lose my shit.

The changes are not necessarily tangible yet, or at least not noticeable to others, but I can tell my tummy is a little flatter, I can feel some of my bones again (not in an anorexic way, just in a less flab-covered way), and I have more energy, despite waking up at the asscrack of dawn to go to the gym.

I don’t know why, but I’ve been loving my 5:45am work outs. I wake up at 5 and am at the gym by 5:45 or 6:00, work out till 6:50, and then shower and head to work. With teaching a night class, this is the only time I have, but I don’t really feel exhausted like I thought I would.

I also think I am becoming a faster runner. I used to run right around 10 minute miles or a tad slower, and then with the marathon training, I got heavier and slower. But now, Dana and I busted out 7 miles yesterday averaging a 9:48 minute mile, which is fast for us especially since 7 is the longest we’ve gone yet. I’d like to think I’m shaving fat off my ass (or boobs or thighs, please JESUS) and it needs less velocity to jiggle up and down each labored step I take while running.

I had a killer upper body workout this morning (since my knees hurt too badly to squat or lunge), and I’ve had a good eating day. It’s really weird, because even though I haven’t finished Wheat Belly yet or cut out wheat completely, I have been more conscious of limiting my wheat intake. And what I’ve found is that I don’t crave it very often. Once I start down the Wheat Rabbit Hole, I crave and binge on wheat-filled goodies. Like the housewarming party on Saturday, I just kept eating because I felt “hungry.” But I haven’t had any wheat today and don’t even feel the compulsion to snack, even though late afternoon is one of my witching hours. That’s freaking sweet, if you ask me!

Hope y’all had a good weekend! I’ve got FOUR more school days until Spring Break and my solo trip to Washington DC. I.Am.Pumped.


Over and out!