Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Fitness Update

Happy Hump Day! I have been quite the busy bee the last week, and it doesn’t show any signs of lightening up for the second half of the week. I thought I would post a short update about ma’ fitness, since writing about it on the interwebs seems to hold me more accountable (said every lady blogger ever) to actually move my meteor-sized ass from the couch to work out.


Some of you might have read my depressing and mopey post a few weeks ago about joining the 90 Challenge at my gym. If not you can read all about me crying over my body fat percentage here.


Well since that depressing day, I have been working on taking control of what I’m eating, since I suspect that that has been the issue. I workout 5-7 days per week, but I’m learning that no matter how hard you bust ass at the gym, if you eat crap you will feel like crap.



The first thing I did was get back on MyFitnessPal, which is a free app you can put on your phone and it is a very discreet and convenient way to keep a food journal. I do waaaaaay better about tracking my food and exercise on the app rather than if I have to carry something else around with me, look for a pen etc. I’m a lazy, lazy woman. Anyways, I’ve been good about tracking everything I shove in my pie hole and logging my workouts. Right now I’m right around 1,750 calories per day, taking into account that logging workouts increases your available calories. Most days, I’ve been coming in below my calorie goals (which I have, of course, turned into a competition against myself). I find that if I am far less likely to eat junk food if I know I have to log it into the app. If nothing else, MyFitnessPal helps me make better food choices.

I haven’t changed my workouts much at all, but I’ve been very good about getting them all in, which is typically of Carlye Training For A Race. Carlye Without A Goal justifies sitting around and not going to the gym because, “I’m not feeling it today.” That could be my life mantra. I’ve been running three times per week, lifting twice a week, going to my circuit class on Tuesday mornings, and am incorporating hot yoga into the mix now too. I get a pretty decent calorie burn doing all of these things (except lifting womp womp) so I don’t see a need to change up my workouts at this point.

I had my second weekly weigh-in yesterday morning and these were my stats:

Feb. 25: Weight-175.5     BFP: 30%

Both numbers are decreasing, which is good, and I’m inching back down towards the healthy range.

This is the first time I have ever been conscious of these kinds of numbers or counting calories. I’ve never before thought about losing weight besides the half hearted, “I wish I could lose ten pounds.” I’ve never tried to “lose weight” before, but it seems like it’s a rite of passage for most women (partially due to unrealistic cultural expectations and stereotypes, but that’s a rant for another post). I feel like a major newbie with this challenge thing, since I have never had this kind of pound-losing mindset before now. My current weight loss attempt is much more for health reasons: I want to have a healthy strong body that I can push to the limits completing races and challenges. I have the Minneapolis Half Marathon in June, the Color Run and Tough Mudder in July, and I’m in a wedding in early August. I want my body to feel fit and strong and capable of anything.


Besides keeping up with tracking my food, I’m planning on doing the Advocare 10 Day Herbal Cleanse after my Spring Break trip, which means I will be a hangry wench during the second week of April. I’ll be posting more about Advocare and my experience with them in a separate post. Anybody want to do the cleanse with me?



I keep meaning to go to Half Price Books and buy Wheat Belly so I can finish it and try out the no wheat thing. This is on my list of things I want to try out during this challenge. That's part of what I like about a challenge like this--you have a little extra motivation to try new things and adapt to what works best for your body. I know "figuring it out" is a neverending process on our so-called fitness journeys, and so far, I'm liking it.

That's all I've got for now, since SOMEBODY didn't feel like doing her long run on Sunday so she has to go get it in on Wednesday night...

Make it a great week!!