Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Embarrassingly Easy Turkey Chili

For those of you not freezing your asses off up here in Minnesota, lucky you. For those of us who have had five “cold days” due to dangerously low temperatures this month alone, it’s about time we had something to warm us up.


This weekend, I realized that I was nearing the end of the month and had yet to post my “new thing I learned to cook this month” entry. That’s because I hadn’t tried anything new. While nursing some frostbite on my face and thighs from broomball on Sunday, I decided to try my hand at one of my favorite foods and one I’ve never cooked before: chili.


I had it today for lunch and I have to say, it wasn’t half bad. And the best part? It took me less than 15 minutes to make.


Say it with me now, I LOVE YOU, CROCK POT.


Embarrassingly Easy Turkey Chili

Ingredients:

-1 lb. lean ground turkey
-1 white onion, diced
-Small amount of olive oil to sauté onion
-¾ cup frozen corn
-1 can condensed tomato soup
-1 can kidney beans, drained
-1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
-2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies and spices
-Chili powder
-Cayenne Pepper
-Cumin
-Garlic powder
-Black pepper
-Optional: cheese and avocado to serve

Like I said, this is incredibly easy to make.

1.     Dice up onion and sauté with a little bit of olive oil.

2.     Once the onion is starting to get nice and soft but before it gets too brown, add in the ground turkey. Brown the turkey with the onions until it is no longer pink and/or looking like brains.

3.     Put onion and meat into crock pot.

4.     Add frozen corn.

5.     Empty all cans (draining/rinsing the beans) into crock pot.

6.     Add in spices. I intentionally didn’t write out measurements for the spices because I didn’t use any. I eyeballed it. I looooove me some cumin, so I went heavy on the cumin and chili powder and light on the rest. Totally up to your taste buds.

7.     Mix it around a little.

8.     Turn crock pot on LOW.

9.     Go to bed/go do something for 8 hours.

10. VOILA, your chili is ready! Shred some cheese and dice up some avocado and eat up.




All in all, it was a pretty successful cooking venture, and it made enough for four lunch servings and a larger tupperware that I put in the freezer. Huzzah.



(I’m sorry, I won’t say huzzah again.)