Friday, November 15, 2013

Why I Dream of Jackie and Other Introductions

Hi there, blog world.

After a long hiatus from blogging, I’ve decided to rejoin the world and make my triumphant (ha!) return. Pardon the crappy template; I’ll get a better one up soon.

During college, I fell for this crazy, interconnected, selfie-filled world of social networking and blogging. I have several people I consider to be my “friends” even though we’ve never met. It’s weird. Do you have that too? If so, let’s be friends. I love the way I’ve seen women rise up to support each other and encourage each other to live each day with positivity and intentionality.



Probably one of the few selfies you'll see on here. PS- like my sweats? I keep it classy for my selfies.

I seriously considered naming this blog “Ain’t No Wifey,” but didn’t want to offend people right off the bat. I follow many blogs and all but one of the bloggers I follow are married women, and almost all of them have kids. Now I love me a good “mommy blog.” I’m not a mommy or a wifey but I love reading about your lives, your triumphs, struggles, weight loss journeys, crafts and projects for your kids, and your home decorating tips. I find meaning in these blogs even though I can’t directly relate to the majority of the topics covered (except the fitness portion. I’m too chicken for before/after pics, and I so admire all you ladies who not only take them, but POST them on the Internet for the world to see. That said, there will definitely be posts here about my goals of living a mindful and healthy lifestyle. But no before and after pics. That shit’s too hardcore for me). Anyways, what I have to offer is a slightly younger, more unattached perspective on life, love, work, school (read: student loans), and friends.

As I’m sure you’re on the edge of your seat with curiosity regarding my lil’ blog’s name, I’ll give a brief explanation which hopefully disguises some of my crazy.

I love Jackie Kennedy. I love her celebrity, her strength, her integrity, and her “uncommon common sense,” as Bill Clinton eulogized her. I have done lots of research on her in a scholarly setting and presented a paper about her at a national conference. I even dress up as her from time to time. Shit, I shouldn’t have said that. Tone down the crazy, Carlye.

Oh, college


With my roommate, Spiderman (this was this most recent Halloween. Embarrassing.)


Jackie represents many things to Americans, and my interest in her has far surpassed what could be generously referred to as academic interest. She is a role model for living life with grace, poise, and elegance. I lack all three of these things. So I attempt to channel her when I can; in moments of stress, tragedy, or uncoordinated embarrassments I find myself thinking, “what would Jackie do?” This blog will follow my attempts to live like Jackie (without all the money and the cheating husband and the fame and the legs etc.).

The title itself comes from an old TV show called “I Dream of Jeannie.” I sincerely hope you’ve heard of it, otherwise I just aged about 50 years. Side note: if you’re looking for something to study from a feminist lens, I would highly recommend it. The fact that Jeannie refers to her dude as “Master” is evidence enough.

Speaking of feminism, a little bit about myself. I am a 24-year-old college grad working as a nanny and living in the Twin Cities. I graduated from a small, liberal arts college in May of 2012 with degrees in History and Women’s Studies. I will try not to go too raging feminist on here, but as I have been trained to see life through my feminist lens, I often forget others don’t have the same overly analytical brain (i.e. don’t care). Sorry in advance for the inevitable rant or two, but if you’re a chauvinist, you might not want to follow this blog.

I love knitting, reading, the Minnesota Vikings, Jackie Kennedy (duh), playing sports especially soccer, window shopping, eating ice cream, and people watching. My sister and I can speak to each other almost entirely in Friends references. I have a tumultuous relationship with running; we’re on a break right now since I maxed out on it while training for my first marathon last month. I am an ENFJ on Meyers-Briggs. The idea of putting my thoughts and beliefs out there for anyone to read kind of scares me. I love my friends and family more than anything in the world.

So sit down, stay a while.


Whew. Deep breath. Leap.